Originally posted on the Florida Today website:
Incoming Florida House Speaker Steve Crisafulli has an extensive to-do list, judging by his presentation last week to the Space Coast Tiger Bay Club. Crisafulli, R-Merritt Island, said his list of legislative priorities contains such things as:
- The environment, including the Indian River Lagoon.
- The education system, including assuring “accountability in the classroom.”
- Incentives for businesses considering expanding in Florida, as well as for producers considering movie, television and advertising projects in Florida.
- “Cutting through the red tape” of over-regulation.
- Funding for seaport projects.
- Reform of the Florida Retirement System so that new employees would be covered under a plan similar to a 401(k) instead of a traditional pension.
Crisafulli said he also expects the Florida Legislature to again take up the issues of expanded legalized gambling and medical marijuana. A proposed state constitutional amendment to legalize medical marijuana that was on the Nov. 6 ballot received support from 57.6 percent of voters, which fell short of the 60 percent needed for passage.
“If you have issues, you bring them to us,” Crisafulli told those in attendance at the Tiger Bay Club’s Winner’s Circle Breakfast at Rockledge Country Club. “All options are on the table with all issues.” In discussing the widespread GOP wins, Crisafulli said: “This country spoke loudly about the direction it wanted to go.” Crisafulli — who won re-election to his House seat by a 66.9 percent to 33.1 percent margin over Democrat Joe Murray of Merritt Island — joked that he is glad the elections are over so that he can turn on his television without seeing it “full of political ads.”
Click HERE to read the article on the Florida Today website